Thankfully, winters in Panama City are mild compared to Anchorage, Minneapolis or any other northern city. However, that doesn’t mean it’s always smooth sailing down here. The weather this time of year can still cause problems for our homes and roofs, which is why it’s important to put together a house maintenance checklist to protect your roof in Panama City, FL.
If you don’t already have a checklist, that’s okay! This post will cover a few things you or your roofing contractor can do to protect your roof throughout the winter and into the spring and summer:
- Fix sealant and weatherstripping: Sealant and weatherstripping surrounding chimneys, antennas and other roofing features are essential in blocking moisture and preventing leaks. Unfortunately, that sealant and weatherstripping can deteriorate throughout the year. This is the perfect time to check it and replace it if necessary.
- Check flashing: Metal flashing is also instrumental in preventing leaks and a rotten roof sublayer. While flashing is sturdy for the most part, heavy storms can damage it throughout the year. Now that the temperature isn’t as hot, now’s a great time to get up on your roof and make sure your flashing isn’t damaged.
- Inspect shingles and tiles: Your shingles or tiles can also become loose or cracked throughout the year. Any damaged shingles or tiles leave you prone to leaks or other roofing issues. Get a head start for 2021 by checking for damaged tiles or shingles and replacing them as soon as possible.
- Clear debris: Twigs, leaves, dust and other debris on your roof might not seem like a huge deal. However, they can cause slight damage! One of our easy tips to protect your roof in the winter in Panama City, FL is to remove all of that debris to prevent damage to shingles or tiles.
- Trim the trees: A good way to prevent twigs and leaves from ever landing on your roof is to trim the trees around your home. This project will also help reduce the number of leaves in your gutters, reducing your roof maintenance in 2021.
- Clean the gutters: Speaking of gutters, put cleaning them out on your house maintenance checklist to protect your roof in Panama City, FL! By allowing water to flow harmlessly to the ground, gutters work to protect your roof, siding and foundation. Gutters should be cleaned at least twice a year, so be sure to tackle that now if you haven’t already.
- Hire a professional: Last, but certainly not least, hire a pro to perform a full roof inspection. A professional inspection will ensure nothing is wrong with your roof that will cause problems in the new year. You’ll be able to sleep well at night knowing your roof and home are safe and sound!
Call Greg’s Roofing of Bay County, Inc. today
Winter is flying by—don’t miss out on your opportunity to have your roof worked on by the pros at Greg’s Roofing of Bay County, Inc. Give us a call today to get a quote for your project or to learn some more tips to protect your roof in the winter in Panama City, FL.